The Global Network Initiative (GNI) is an international multistakeholder group of Internet and telecommunications companies, civil society organizations (including human rights and press freedom groups), investors and academics, who have created a collaborative approach to protect and advance freedom of expression and privacy in the ICT sector.
The GNI seeks a Senior Membership & Learning Associate to improve membership recruitment and engagement, drive shared learning among our members, and lead diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, in support of our mission to advance freedom of expression and privacy rights worldwide. This is an opportunity to join a talented staff and work with and learn from GNI’s multi-stakeholder membership of leading information and communications technology (ICT) companies, civil society organizations, investors and academics. The title and salary of this position will reflect the experience of the candidate to whom it is offered. We encourage anyone excited about this opportunity to apply, even if you do not meet all of the qualifications listed below.
The Senior Membership & Learning Associate can be located anywhere in the world and will work closely with GNI’s geographically distributed membership and staff, reporting directly to the Managing Director. They will work to identify, recruit, and onboard new members, as well as to develop resources, design programs, and conduct outreach to support existing members and enhance their meaningful participation in GNI. The Senior Membership & Learning Associate will also be responsible for developing efforts to enhance diversity and equity across GNI’s staff and membership. In addition, they will identify and prioritize topics for expert discussion, organizing learning events, and ensuring follow-up activities.
Working with relevant GNI staff, members, committees, and contractors/third parties to:
- Update and maintain a plan for new member recruitment with a focus on members outside of the United States and Europe;
- Conduct outreach to potential new members;
- Oversee and execute vetting, approval, and onboarding of new members;
- Facilitate the meaningful engagement of members in GNI’s diverse activities;
- Ensure regular and time-zone appropriate communication with members;
- Shape membership experiences, including through outreach, tools, onboardings, training, and the design of committees, working groups, and other opportunities for member engagement;
- Design, develop, and maintain a membership portal to facilitate member access to relevant non-public information and resources;
- Support the organization, communication, and activities conducted by GNI’s four (company, NGO, academics, and investor) constituencies;
- Develop and help execute a plan for enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion across GNI’s membership and activities;
- Collaborate and engage with GNI’s membership and relevant committees to identify and articulate a learning strategy and agenda;
- Develop, maintain, and execute a calendar of internal and public learning activities, including GNI’s Annual Learning Forum;
- Manage shared learning activities among members, coordinating discussions and themes (outreach to experts, pre-briefings, recordings and minutes, etc.) and organizing follow-up activities as appropriate;
- Work with GNI staff to integrate learning activities and outcomes into the different verticals and focus areas of GNI;
- Conducting other tasks as appropriate to support GNI’s mission.
Qualifications: This position is applicable for people with at least three years of relevant experience. An ideal candidate would demonstrate the following:
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in organizational development, membership relations, and/or project management;
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge related to one or more of these fields: international human rights law or policy, corporate social responsibility, technology policy;
- Outstanding personal communication skills and judgement;
- Strong written communication skills, including note taking and report writing;
- Experience in web-design, project-management software, and other relevant applications and software;
- Experience with project and event management;
- Experience liaising with a wide-range of organizations and individuals, coordinating membership activities and engagement strategies;
- Experience in multi-stakeholder environments and differing cultural settings, and in working with diverse actors and organizations;
- Exceptional project and time management, planning and organizational skills, resourcefulness and attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, and in a small team;
- Fluency in English is required, and proficiency in another language is an advantage.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and a cover letter with the subject line: Senior Membership & Learning Associate to [email protected]
GNI’s strength lies in the diversity of views, opinions, and backgrounds of our members and staff. We seek applicants from all backgrounds. Candidates from regions outside of Canada, the United States, and Western Europe are strongly encouraged to apply. GNI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.