The Global Network Initiative (GNI) is an international multistakeholder group of Internet and telecommunications companies, civil society organizations (including human rights and press freedom groups), investors and academics, who have created a collaborative approach to protect and advance freedom of expression and privacy in the ICT sector. GNI seeks dynamic, entrepreneurial candidates to join its growing, global team of technology policy experts.
We are currently seeking applications for a Policy & Program Officer.
Reports to: Policy Director and Director of Learning and Development
Location: Washington, D.C.
Status: Exempt, Full time, Contingent upon funding
Travel: Moderate domestic and international travel
Eligibility: Must have authorization to work in the U.S.
Job Purpose and Summary
The Policy & Program Officer will help design and manage multiple programs supporting freedom of expression and privacy in the ICT sector, including a combination of project management and substantive oversight of public policy and shared learning activities. This position provides an excellent opportunity to understand and shape tech policy globally and in key countries; work internationally with leading companies, NGOs, academics, and investors; and help build the capacity of GNI, as well as local partners around the world. The Program Officer will manage relationships with GNI members and other stakeholders, as well as funding partners, including tracking deliverables, managing reporting, and engaging other GNI staff as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works collaboratively with GNI’s staff and participants/members to identify and target policy and programing opportunities
- Researches and investigates tech policy issues globally and in key countries
- Cultivates and strengthens relationships with international and local partner organizations
- Drafts briefing memos, proposals, work plans, quarterly and other reports with minimal substance guidance
- Provides management, representational and operational oversight of GNI projects
- Provides effective management of multiple grants, tracks project expenses and monitors appropriate application of allowable costs, ensures that they stay within budget limits, anticipates and successfully addresses costs and implements solutions to budget variances, guides other staff regarding structures and mechanisms
- Manages reporting and evaluation aspects, including recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep projects on track, ensure effective implementation, measure the impact of activities, and manage privacy-respectful data aggregation
- Assists GNI staff with the management and overall programmatic development of the project, including designing a launch strategy, tracking budgets and sub-grants, and developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation (M&E) frameworks
- Promotes greater collaboration with relevant organizations in the Internet Freedom community
- Provides support for local and regional program conferences, workshops, and meetings
- Conducts other tasks as appropriate to support GNI’s mission
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years of relevant experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in a relevant field and a demonstrated interest and experience in public policy, related to one or more of these fields: international human rights law or policy, corporate social responsibility, technology policy
- Experience with legal and regulatory issues and/or policy advocacy a significant asset
- Extensive grant management experience, including writing and editing proposals and reports
- Experience with financial management tools and practices
- Strong background in project management, including experience with developing and managing M&E frameworks
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Confidence working in multistakeholder settings and with diverse constituencies
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills, resourcefulness, and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Excel
- Familiarity with U.S. government rules and regulations
- Working knowledge of budget and accounting procedures
- Ability to work independently, under pressure, and in a small team
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Fluency in English is required, and proficiency in another language preferred
Send a cover letter, resume, and two references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please put “Policy & Program Officer Position” in the subject area. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
No phone calls please.
The Global Network Initiative is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.