The Global Network Initiative will host a roundtable at RightsCon in San Francisco, entitled “Toward Accountability: Reflecting on ICT Industry Action To Protect User Rights.” on Tuesday March 4, 4-5pm.
- Sarah Altschuller, Associate, Foley Hoag
- Michael Connor, Executive Director, Open Media and Information Companies Initiative
- Patrik Hiselius, Senior Advisor for Digital Rights TeliaSonera
- Danny O’Brien, International Director, EFF
- Ebele Okobi, Global Head & Senior Legal Director, Human Rights, Yahoo
- Sana Saleem, Director, Bolo Bhi
- Cynthia Wong, Senior Internet Researcher, Human Rights Watch
- David Sullivan, Policy & communications Director, GNI (moderator)
The session aims to identify concrete lessons learned from GNI’s experience to date, to inform the wider conversation about how companies should work with outside groups to implement human rights principles. How should a technology company respond to a government request to take down content or hand over user data? Companies are obliged to obey national laws, but when should they challenge them? What constraints to companies face and what concrete steps can they take to respect users’ rights? This roundtable discussion will explore the lessons learned and looming challenges facing companies and diverse stakeholders when they collaborate on human rights.