The Global Network Initiative and the Telecommunications Industry Dialogue on Freedom of Expression and Privacy present their 2013 joint Learning Forum in Brussels, Belgium.
2013 Learning Forum
13 November 2013
Brussels Marriott Hotel
Moderated by John Kampfner, this first joint multi-stakeholder learning forum will bring to Brussels an exciting line up of international speakers on cutting-edge issues relating to freedom of expression and privacy rights online:
09:30 – 10:00 Welcome and introduction to the collaboration between GNI and the Industry Dialogue
- Jermyn Brooks, GNI Independent chair
- Yves Nissim, Industry Dialogue chair
10:00 – 10:45 The evolving free expression and privacy challenges in the ICT sector
What do we now know about communications surveillance and government access to data? What are the human rights implications? How can universal rights be protected when laws and international agreements give different levels of protection based on territoriality or citizenship?
- Leslie Harris, Center for Democracy and Technology
- Jeanette Hofmann, Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society
- Marília Maciel, Center for Technology & Society – FGV Law School
- Dewi van de Weerd, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
10:45 – 12:15 Free expression and privacy issues across the Atlantic and around the globe
What are the different challenges in developed and emerging markets? How are the communications surveillance issues highlighted in the last few months having an impact in countries around the world? Are there unique responsibilities for the US given its unique position in the global communications network?
- William Echikson, Google
- Elonnai Hickock, Centre for Internet & Society
- Patrick Hiselius, TeliaSonera
- Carina Lundberg Markow, Folksam
- Rebecca MacKinnon, New America Foundation
For more information about the Learning Forum, please contact David Sullivan at[email protected]. Please note that the Learning Forum is invitation only. If you have any questions regarding the conference, please contact us by email.