GNI welcomes expressions of interest from potential members. If you are a for-profit, non-profit, or an academic organization with a shared commitment to GNI Principles we would like to hear from you! Currently our membership is made up of four constituencies: companies, civil society organizations, investors, and academics. All constituencies play an active role in promoting the GNI Principles and work collaboratively in a multi-stakeholder manner, while maintaining distinct roles. For example:
- Companies commit to implementing and upholding the Principles within their organizations;
- civil society organizations bring their in depth knowledge and expertise on human rights along with direct connection to people on the ground in many countries around the world;
- investors include consideration of the issues covered in the Principles into their investment decision making; and
- academics bring analysis, research and insight into trends to the work of GNI.
GNI is inviting a limited number of companies who are actively considering joining GNI and interested in learning more about its approach to advancing privacy and freedom of expression to apply for observer status.
Follow these steps to become a GNI member:
Step 1 – A Statement of Intent
Please send a statement of intent from a senior member of your organization to email@example.com outlining:
- Your interest in joining GNI
- Your commitment to the Principles and Implementation Guidelines of GNI
- Which constituency you would wish to be a part of
- How our work relates to your organization
- What your organization plans to contribute to GNI
- Your commitment to the confidential nature of the discussions within GNI
Please also include relevant information about your organization such as annual reports, research papers, and other explanatory materials.
Step 2 – A detailed conversation
Once we have received your statement of intent we will contact you to discuss membership in more detail.
How much does it cost to join GNI?
Company membership fees are on a sliding scale according to revenue.
For non company constituencies we ask for a nominal contribution of between $100 and $1,000.
Academics who serve in a personal capacity do not pay a fee.
What to do if you have questions…
If you have questions or would like to learn more about GNI before starting the membership process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org