On May 4, 2009, Global Network Initiative participants took part in a panel at the Soul of the New Machine Conference in Berkeley, California. Participants discussed recent challenges to freedom of expression and privacy in Korea, Moldova, and Australia, and the role of the GNI as a source of first principles, collaboration, and engagement.
- Chuck Cosson, Senior Policy Counsel, Microsoft
- Bennett Freeman, Senior VP for Social Research, Calvert Group
- Leslie Harris, President and CEO, Center for Democracy & Technology
- Dunstan Hope, Managing Director, ICT Practice, Advisory Services, Business for Social Responsibility
- Colin M. Maclay, Managing Director, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
- Deirdre K. Mulligan, Assistant Professor, UC Berkeley School of Information (moderator)
- Michael Samway, VP and Deputy General Counsel, Yahoo!
- Nicole Wong, Deputy General Counsel, Google
Video and audio recordings of the panel discussion can be found here.
Soul of the New Machine: Human Rights, Technology & New Media, Human Rights Center at UC Berkeley (May 4-5, 2009)